Why the royal family is being urged to 'apologise' following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest

A royal expert argued that Andrew has been protected by the monarchy
Ella Clarke

The royal family has been urged to “apologise” following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

One historian has argued that the monarchy can no longer distance itself from the scandal.

Police arrested Andrew on the morning of February 19 on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Police arrived at a property on the Sandringham Estate, where Andrew now lives after vacating Royal Lodge in Windsor earlier this month.

As of Thursday evening, he has been released from police custody under investigation, with no charges announced.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor walking in long coat
The royal family have been called to apologise following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. (Credit: Cover Images)

Royal family urged to ‘apologise’ after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest

Writing for The Mirror, royal historian Dr Tessa Dunlop argued that the monarchy cannot simply distance themselves from Andrew and move on.

“We can pretend he isn’t royal, and stumble over his new, long-winded ‘Mountbatten-Windsor’ nomenclature,” she wrote. “But Andrew is the son of a monarch, born in Buckingham Palace 66 years ago. He remains 8th in line to the throne.”

Scrutiny over Andrew has intensified in recent weeks. It comes after the release of more than three million files by the US Department of Justice relating to late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

For years, Andrew has faced scrutiny over his links to Epstein.

The recently released documents allegedly include emails suggesting Andrew forwarded official trade reports and sensitive information about investment opportunities to Epstein during his time as trade envoy. Trade envoys are bound by duties of confidentiality even after leaving office.

He held the position from 2001 to 2011.

Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.

Dr Dunlop pointed out that Andrew’s former role as UK trade envoy was a position granted because of his royal status.

“It was precisely because of his privileged position the former prince was ‘anointed’ trade envoy in the first place,” she said. “Let’s not fool ourselves that Andrew is no longer royal.”

Royal family on Buckingham Palace balcony
A royal expert argued that Andrew has been protected by the monarchy (Credit: SplashNews.com)

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor scandal

As well as scrutiny over his friendship with Epstein, Andrew has also faced allegations of sexual assault.

Andrew previously settled a civil lawsuit brought by the late Virginia Giuffre in the US. Ms Giuffre alleged she had been trafficked by Epstein and forced to have sex with Andrew on three separate occasions when she was 17.

The former prince has always vehemently denied the allegations. They reached an out of court settlement in 2022 for an undisclosed sum. Andrew stated the settlement was not an admission of guilt.

Ms Giuffre tragically took her own life last April, at the age of 41.

Dr Dunlop has now criticised the palace’s historical handling of the controversy surrounding Andrew.

She claimed that “the late queen protected her son Andrew”. Andrew’s controversial 2019 BBC Newsnight interview even took place at Buckingham Palace. In the interview, Andrew addressed his friendship with Epstein and the allegations against him.

In addition, she concluded that “surely the least the royal family can do is apologise for consistently turning a blind eye to former Duke of York’s extensive abuse of power”.

King Charles’ statement on Andrew arrest

Meanwhile, King Charles released a statement following his brother’s arrest this week.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he said.

“They have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

Royal Insider has contacted representatives for Buckingham Palace for comment.

Read more: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s new abode doesn’t look very welcoming as driveway blighted with unfortunate issue

What do you think of this story? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page. We want to hear your thoughts!