Prince Harry addresses public in new charity video hours after uncle Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest

The Duke of Sussex spoke out about a cause close to his heart
Rebecca Carter

Prince Harry has spoken out in a new charity video hours after his uncle Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.

On Thursday morning (February 19), Andrew, 66, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The specific details of the allegations of misconduct being investigated are unknown.

Then, on Thursday evening, the former prince was released under investigation.

Prince Harry speaks in WellChild video
The Duke of Sussex spoke about the WellChild Awards (Credit: WellChild / YouTube)

Prince Harry speaks out in charity video

Amid the news, the Duke of Sussex, 41, has spoken out in honour of the WellChild Awards. Harry has been patron of WellChild for many years.

He has always shown support for the charity, which works to give seriously ill children, young people and their families across the UK the best chance to thrive at home.

In the video, Harry says: “Every year, one of the moments I look forward to the most is spending time with the incredible children and families that I meet through the WellChild Awards.

“These children and young people are living with complex medical needs, challenges that most of us can barely imagine.

“And yet time and again they meet life with positivity, courage, humour and an extraordinary joy for living. In their smiles, their determination and their kindness, they show us what strength truly looks like.”

He called the WellChild Awards a “truly special evening”.

Harry continued: “It’s about celebrating these remarkable young people.

“It’s about recognising the siblings who so often put their own needs aside to care for a brother or sister. And of course it’s about honouring the parents, the carers, the nurses and professionals who give so much of themselves every single day with dedication, love and compassion.”

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in suit for royal Easter service
Police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday morning (Credit: Cover Images)

‘Please nominate them’

Harry then issued a plea.

He said: “But these awards can only happen with your help. So, if you know a child who learned hospital routines before playground games, a sibling who quietly became a carer or a parent or professional whose life revolves around constant selfless care, please nominate them for a WellChild Award.

“They might be a friend in a different part of the United Kingdom, or a stranger you see in your community every single week. We want to hear about them.”

He added: “By nominating, you’re not just recognising an achievement, you’re telling a story.

WellChild Awards 2026

“You’re shining a light on extraordinary bravery, on resilience and kindness that’s happening in communities across the United Kingdom every day – often unseen and too often uncelebrated. So thank you. Thank you for supporting WellChild, and please get nominating. We very much hope to see some of you at the 2026 WellChild Awards.”

Nominations will close on March 16. The WellChild Awards usually take place later in the year, with last year’s ceremony happening in September.

Please nominate them for a WellChild Award.

It’s unknown if the video was recorded before news of Andrew’s arrest broke.

But the video from the Duke of Sussex emerged on Thursday after Andrew left police custody.

Prince Harry smiling during UK return
WellChild is a charity close to Prince Harry’s heart (Credit: Cover Images)

What we know about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest

On Thursday morning (February 19), police arrived on the Sandringham Estate where Andrew resides. News then broke that Andrew had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Scrutiny has been mounting over Andrew’s association with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein following the US Department of Justice’s release of millions of files relating to the disgraced financier last month.

Following the release of files, Andrew faced allegations that he shared sensitive and confidential documents with Epstein during his time as a UK trade envoy.

He served as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011. In 2010, Andrew allegedly forwarded official reports from trade visits to Epstein, according to the files.

Read more: King Charles issues statement as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial, or political information about their official visits.

A rundown on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's unprecedented arrest

The arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, King Charles' brother, on February 19, 2026, sent shockwaves around the world.

Police arrived on the Sandringham Estate on the morning on February 19. News then broke that Andrew had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Later that evening, police released Andrew under investigation.

Why was Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested?

Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Scrutiny has been mounting over Andrew’s association with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein following the US Department of Justice’s release of millions of files relating to the disgraced financier in January 2026.

Following the release of files, Andrew faced allegations that he shared sensitive and confidential documents with Epstein during his time as a UK trade envoy.

He served as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011. In 2010, Andrew allegedly forwarded official reports from trade visits to Epstein, according to the files.

Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial, or political information about their official visits.

King Charles' response to Andrew arrest in full

Shortly after news of Andrew's arrest broke, King Charles issued a statement.

It read: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."

He added: "In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."

On Thursday evening, police released Andrew under investigation. This means that the former prince could be called back any time for questioning.

Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. This arrest should not be seen as any indication of guilt and there are no charges yet.

What do you think of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page.