Prince William may 'go against royal rule' son George is expected to face when he turns 12
George turns 12 this JulyPrince William may go against a royal rule relating to eldest son Prince George within weeks.
For many years, it’s been reported that one protocol that is followed within the monarchy is that direct heirs to the throne travel separately when they get to a certain age.
From the age of 12, a former royal pilot claimed that William began travelling separately to his father King Charles. Reports have speculated that the same could happen when George turns 12 this summer. However, one royal commentator thinks differently.

Prince William and his position on ‘royal rule’
In years gone by, reports claimed that heir to the throne Prince William clashed with his father and the late Queen over a particular travel choice he made.
But now, just two months ahead of Prince George’s 12th birthday on July 22, a royal commentator has raised the possibility that Prince William may test the boundaries of what is expected of senior royals once again.
Prince William previously trained as a helicopter pilot with the RAF’s Search and Rescue Force. His time as an air ambulance pilot formed part of his experience spending time with all branches of the military.
He graduated from the Defence Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury in 2010 – and remains a fan of choppers.
However, it is believed his enthusiasm for travelling across the UK with all three of his children in a helicopter caused concern for the now-King Charles and William’s grandmother the Queen. This is because Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, as well as Prince George, are all potential heirs to the throne.
William’s ‘stubborn refusal’ over his family
As reported by the MailOnline, Robert Jobson claimed in his 2024 biography of Princess Kate: “One recent source of disagreement is William’s stubborn refusal to take his father’s advice on safeguarding the succession.
“Earlier this year, the king had raised concerns with his son about the wisdom of William using his helicopter to fly his entire family around the country.
“An experienced pilot, William had upset the late Queen when he defied her request not to pilot his family the 115 miles from Kensington Palace to Anmer Hall, their home in Norfolk. The Queen, haunted by the 1967 crash that killed the Captain of the Queen’s Flight (although no royals were on board), ‘did not hold back’, one aide said.”
Mr Jobson also claimed King Charles insisted William “sign a formal document, acknowledging the risks involved and taking full responsibility for his actions”.

However, it seems air travel is back on the royal agenda ahead of Prince George’s birthday.
That’s because reports claim that when Prince William himself turned 12, he no longer flew with his father. At the time, William was second in line to the throne behind his father.
George is currently second in line too, behind William.
While some may expect royal heirs to travel on separate flights, that might not turn out to be the case in today’s modern monarchy.

Prince William may not follow royal travel rule with son George
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News in February: “There is indeed this royal protocol. But I think the idea the Prince of Wales and his children can’t be on the same flight is stretching it
He continued: “It is true some attention would have to be made if there was considered any sort of risk.”
The pundit also suggested the “rule” was “followed probably more in the past than now”.
Mr Fitzwilliams doesn’t think it likely Prince William and Prince George will stop traveling together anytime in the near future. However, he said changes are not expected when it comes to Prince William and his own father King Charles.
“They probably wouldn’t have King Charles and the Prince of Wales on the same flight. But the protocol rules have flexibility,” he added.
What do you think of this story? Let us know by leaving a comment on our Facebook page.
