What happens now Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested? Everything we know and Sarah Ferguson's 'whereabouts'
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested and taken into custody
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested today (February 19) at his new temporary abode, Wood Farm, on the Sandringham Estate.
Unsurprisingly, tongues are wagging, with many wondering, what is next for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor? We are unravelling everything we can expect following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
Why has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested?
Currently, it is believed that police are investigating Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor due to his appearance in the Epstein files.
The latest tranche, released last month, has brought up questions around his relationship with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew is facing allegations that he shared sensitive and confidential information with Epstein during his time as a UK trade envoy.
An email, allegedly from Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, appeared to show that Andrew was sharing confidential information with Epstein during his time as a UK trade envoy, as detailed in the files.
Being pictured or named in the Epstein Files does not necessarily indicate wrongdoing.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has continuously and vehemently denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.
Thames Valley Police confirm Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrest: Their statement in full
The BBC shared that they have now seen a statement from Thames Valley police, explaining the current situation.
They published this statement, which said: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
What happens now Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested?
Reports have speculated that now Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been taken into custody, the next steps will be to investigate his properties, in search of further evidence.
Reports have claimed that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home Royal Lodge is being searched by officers, as well as his new residence on the Sandringham Estate.
Anything thought to be deemed as evidence, like photos, electronic devices and books are likely to be bagged up and taken in for investigation.
Meanwhile, Andrew is likely being held in a cell.
Police can hold him for 24 hours meaning that the former Duke of York could spend a night in a prison cell, given he was arrested sometime around 8am this morning (February 19).
What has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested for?
Misconduct in public office (MiPO) is an offence in abuse or neglect of power or responsibilities by someone holding public office, as per Institure for Government.
The law applies to people in roles across government and public services.
This includes elected officials, civil servants, the police and the judiciary.
The 2020 Law Commission states that MiPO “is one of the most notoriously difficult offences to define in England and Wales”.
This offence can hold a hefty consequence if proven.

The offence carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. MiPO is committed when a public officer wilfully neglects to perform their duty.
Thus, amounting in the abuse of the public’s trust in the office holder.
What could the next steps be?
BBC Home and Legal correspondent Dominic Casciani has detailed to the outlet what an arrest for misconduct in this case could entail.
And it seems that this isn’t an easy crime to prosecute.
“Misconduct in Public Office is a really complicated offence,” he penned. “It essentially boils down to an allegation that someone who was doing a job on behalf of the British public did something seriously wrong, knowing it to be wrong. There are four ‘elements’ or factors that police must focus on during their investigation so that prosecutors can later decide whether or not someone should be charged.
“First, the police must establish whether the person they’re investigating was a ‘public officer’ and the incident in question was plausibly part of those duties. If that’s agreed, detectives will then look for evidence that the incident in question saw the suspect ‘wilfully’ neglecting to perform their duty or wilfully misconducting themselves in some other way. That wordy definition has long been a source of legal debate – more on that later. The next question is whether the action they committed was so bad that it was ‘an abuse of the public’s trust’.
“Lastly, if the evidence has passed those three tests, police need to examine whether the person under investigation acted ‘without reasonable excuse or justification’. That final question is crucial. It’s a fundamental principle of criminal justice that someone suspected of wrongdoing is given an opportunity to put forward their side of the story – and that starts when the police come and knock on their door.”
King Charles issues statement
The king has said in a new statement today: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The royal family’s reaction following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest
Elsewhere, as the latest news unfolds, Queen Camilla has been spotted at a public appearance.
The queen reportedly arrived at an engagement in Westminster, central London, at around noon today.
Camilla is attending a lunchtime orchestral concert, and was greeted by representatives as she got there.

Meanwhile, up North, Princess Anne has travelled to Leeds to visit His Majesty’s Prison Leeds in her role as Patron of the Butler Trust.
There, she will be recognising work that supports excellence in UK prisons.
The Princess Royal reportedly has a packed itinerary in Yorkshire, despite her brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.

King Charles continues his duties
Evidently, King Charles is also moving forward despite Andrew’s unprecedented arrest.
King Charles was photographed with Francisco Lima Mena, Ambassador of El Salvador, who presented him with his credentials during an audience at St James’s Palace this afternoon.
The monarch also greeted the ambassador of Spain Emma Aparici Vazquez de Parga as well as the High Commissioner for Kenya Maurice Makoloo.
Where is Sarah Ferguson amid Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest?
As all eyes land on the York family, it leaves observers wondering, where is Sarah Ferguson in all of this?
Well, last week it was reported that Sarah Ferguson isn’t in the country.
The former duchess is said to have spent a few days with friends in the French Alps and is now in the United Arab Emirates, according to the Daily Mail.

She was said to be spending time with Princess Eugenie, who was spotted attending the Basel art fair in Doha, Qatar, last week, in her capacity as director of art gallery Hauser & Wirth.
A source told the Mail that Sarah is laying low at the moment.
Sarah allegedly told her friends that she wished to put some distance between her and Andrew.
PM Keir Starmer and Deputy PM David Lammy speak out
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has also shared his thoughts.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Sir Keir insisted that “nobody is above the law”.
Starmer said: “Anybody who has any information should testify. So, whether it’s Andrew or anybody else, anybody who has got relevant information should come forward to whatever the relevant body is, in this particular case, we’re talking about Epstein, but there are plenty of other cases.
“Anybody who has got information relating to any aspect of violence against women and girls has, in my view, a duty to come forward, whoever they are.”
Sir Keir continued: “One of the core principles in our system is that everybody is equal under the law, and nobody is above the law, and it is really important that this is applied across the board.
“That is the principle. It’s a long-standing principle, it’s a very important principle of our country, our society, and it applies, and it has to apply in this case, in the same way as it would apply in any other case.”
Meanwhile, in a conversation with BBC’s technology editor Zoe Kleinman at the India AI Impact Summit in Delhi, Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy commented on the investigation.
He said: “As justice secretary – and as the prime minister has said – nobody in this country is above the law. And this is now a police investigation and that must happen in the usual way.”
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s representative has been contacted for comment.
What do you think of this story? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page.